.WORK EXPERIENCE REFLECTION – SOCIAL HEREOS

Work experience gave me an eye opening introduction to journalism world, in terms of how content is made and produced. I had done work experience in school, like most others do, but producing journalistic content that was available for everybody to read, that was something I’d never done before.

I first contacted Shauna, my line manager and founder of the company Social Heroes, last year. I researched the company before I sent the email to make sure I knew what I was talking about, so I could at least sound professional. Shauna quickly replied with a very encouraging email, asking me to send in an application-like sample piece of work based on the content Social Heroes produce. Immediately, I found a topic that interested me, did some research, and then continued to write the article. Looking back at this, I felt like a proper journalist whilst working on this introductory piece of work. I had searched for the work placement myself, contacted the correct people and had done some article research – and now I was writing the article.

The whole work experience was an utterly enjoyable process. Throughout the experience, I felt totally at home in terms of working as a journalist/content producer, and having to follow the orders of Shauna, after all I did have to write about what was relevant.

My work experience also allowed me to hone my key employability skills. I had to work both independently as well as work as cog in a much bigger machine. The experience meant that I got to practice working to a deadline, knowing that if I didn’t, the machine I was part of wouldn’t work as efficiently. I also had the chance to show I could use my initiative by producing content differently, by using graphs or infographics. I also had to use my initiative by not being afraid to ask for help if I needed it, or even asking if there was anything else I could do.

Most importantly though, work experience showed me that journalism and writing is definitely a career I would like to progress and thrive in throughout my life. It gave me opportunities to flex my writing muscles and also my research brain.

Overall, the work experience definitely helped me progress as a student, worker and human being. I developed journalism and life skills that otherwise would still need work. The whole thing was incredibly useful, as it has opened doors for a future career, and also added Shauna to my contact and potential employers list.


Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram